Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy
Today EMDR is also used as an effective treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental health issues that arise as a result of traumatic experiences.
How it Works
During EMDR sessions, a therapist will work through traumatic or triggering experiences from your past as he or she directs your eye movement. Being distracted by the eye movement can relieve some of the distress you would normally experience when recalling these difficult past experiences or traumas. As the strong psychological response lessens when recalling the memories, you can move past the trauma easier.
It may be helpful to think of it like a physical wound—if there is something that gets in the way of healing a physical wound, it gets irritated and cannot heal. Traumatic experiences that cause wounds in your mind can similarly be hard to heal if there is something blocking you from moving past it toward the healing process. The goal of EMDR is to remove that block sooner so you can resume your natural healing path.
Contact our South Jordan, Utah office to see if EMDR can help you.
EMDR therapists are specially trained and use a treatment with 8 phases:
- Phase 1 is a history session where you develop a plan with your therapist, discuss targets for EMDR processing, and get questions answered. Length of this treatment can vary based on past trauma or onset of PTSD.
- Phase 2 is where your therapist will help you find ways to handle the emotional distress through stress reduction techniques you can use outside of therapy.
- Phases 3-6 are when you identify and process specific targets with the EMDR therapy. Your therapist will help you work through both positive and negative beliefs and emotions and notice what is happening in your mind and body.
- Phase 7 is a closure phase where you will keep a log and document anything related to your trauma or treatment that comes up.
- Phase 8 is a time to examine the process and progress.
Effective Treatment for Trauma in South Jordan, Utah
Multiple studies have confirmed that EMDR is an effective therapy for treating people with PTSD or other trauma. It is recognized by national and international organizations, including the World Health Organization, the American Psychological Association, and the U.S. Department of Defense for its ability to help with trauma and PTSD. For many people it works faster than traditional therapy to overcome trauma. It is considered safe and has few side effects.
If you are experiencing PTSD, trauma, or other mental health issues related to past trauma, call Live Well Counseling in South Jordan, Utah today to find out more about how EMDR could help.